Has your job transferred you to a new location? Have you just decided that you want to move your family to a new town? Whatever the reason, moving can definitely be stressful. Part of the problem is just saying goodbye to friends and family and things which have become familiar to you. The other part of the problem is that the actual move is usually a lot of work. Here are some ideas that might help you to make the move easier for you.
Enlist Family Help - This is a great time to have a family meeting so that you can get much needed help.
- Consider asking children to clean out and organize their own rooms. Think about giving them an incentive to get rid of things that are no longer used. For example, if you hold a yard sale, tell them that they can keep any of the money that is made from the sale of their personal belongings. Another idea is to plan a large family purchase from the proceeds of the sale.
- Think about asking all family members to set aside clothing and other personal objects that will be needed during the transition so they won't be packed inadvertently.
- It's a good idea to keep bedding, favorite toys and other familiar objects that will help your children feel comfortable in the new house.
Get Ready For The Packers - Preparation on your part will help the packers to do their job more efficiently.
- One really helpful thing for you to do is to do a diagram of your new house that will be used by the movers. Using graph paper, label each room. Then cut templets out of colored construction paper of all of your furniture and other large objects. When the packers are doing their work, the diagram will direct them where to place everything.
- If you prefer to unpack everything yourself, the job will be easier because each box will already be in the designated room.
- Consider asking the packers to also unpack your things for you when they arrive at your new house. They are professionals who have been trained to pack and unwrap each piece that has been included in the move. Because of their training, you don't have to worry about breakage. However, if an accident does happen, the packing company will reimburse you for damages that have occurred.
Best wishes as you prepare to move to your new home. For more information, contact a company like Bekins Van Lines Inc.