Whether you are moving next door, down the block, or to a whole different state, moving can be a time-consuming, expensive, and stressful process. This article will provide you with a few different tips that will revolutionize the moving process and hopefully give you the time and energy you need to say your last farewells and prepare for the excitement of your new home.
1. Pack the items that you will need first in a clear plastic bin. There is nothing worse than wanting to just brush your teeth and go to bed at the end of moving day, only to realize your living room is filled with 100+ brown packing boxes that all look identical. Using a few clear plastic bins for the necessities can help ensure that you are comfortable and get a good night's sleep before a full day of unpacking your new home.
2. Wrap dishes and other breakables in clothing. This tip kills two birds with one stone. First, it saves you money when it comes to purchasing bubble wrap and tissue paper. Second, it allows you to save space by using clothes that you would already be packing.
3. Try labeling your boxes not only with their contents but also with what room they will be going to. That way, when you arrive you can unpack boxes by room, saving time and energy. You should also consider color coding by room. By using different colored duct tape, you can note all of the boxes going to one particular room with a certain color, ensuring visibility and ease of unpacking.
4. Pack dishes vertically rather than horizontally. Packing plates vertically makes it so they are less likely to break. It would be a shame to break a heavy box of your mother's wedding china because they were stacked in a hazardous way.
5. Eliminate the need for hundreds of boxes by using laundry hampers, suitcases, and baskets as carriers.
6. If you have a number of fragile valuables that you will be moving, it is essential to splurge and hire professional movers like Absolute Moving & Storage Inc. Doing this will pay for itself because as much as you love your friends, they are probably not the best at lifting your great-grandmother's antique piano up three flights of stairs.
7. Make sure to defrost your refrigerator at least one full day prior to moving that way you have time to wipe up any liquid that results from the melting ice.
8. Keep your important papers such as birth certificates, social security cards, and medical records with you. The last thing you want is for this important paperwork to be lost or misplaced in the move.
9. Pack like things together. You need to make sure to keep extension cords with the appliances that they belong with, controllers with the television or game console, light bulbs with the lamps, and book ends with the books.
10. Donate any unwanted items, and make sure to contact the organization that you will be donating to about two weeks before you move out. This ensures that your unwanted items can get picked up in enough time to decrease the clutter for the rest of your move.
These ten tips will ensure that you maintain your sanity during your move. You won't be sorry!